An oath must be clearly defined (what is the promise) and is something that must NOT be broken easily at any time (it discredits the game).
An oath must last at least 12 hours if:
- An oath (alliances) pronounced during the full moon
- An oath that is pronounced before the scholars of one’s own religion
An oath must last at least this day and the next if:
- An oath was signed (or the agreement described) and witnessed and signed by others (preferably a high priest or a scholar / priest)
- An oath was pronounced at Nifelheim
- An oath / promise / agreement was pronounced before the Council
Anyone who breaks an oath before the agreed time must be punished and must take the punishment. This can be judged:
- Temporary ban from the group
- Prison (some hours…)
- Ban from the Council (or non-voting)
- Curse (according to religious rule) the whole full moon period
- The person who broke the oath shall forever be called an oath-breaker in their name
- The council / priest or lawyer can and should decide on a fine / damages that are felt and noticeable (gold or other renunciation)
Religion (and rules)
CURSE AND BLESSING
Shamans and priests can do a lot of cool rituals and claim to know a lot of things that you should believe if you belong to that religion. Shamans / priests / fortune tellers etc. can give curse and blessing if you belong to their religion.
Curse/blessing can be done once a day and once a night, everywhere. The shaman needs 5 black or white stones (depending on religion). It works on people of the same religion. The person must participate in a small ritual performed by the priest. One color marking is done in the forehead which must stay there until midnight and must not be hidden.
Green dot = blessing (treat them with kindness, be nice)
Black dot = curse (treat them badly)
If you encounter one with these markings, you must treat them either badly, or be very nice to them, depending on the color of the forehead.
Shamans / priests etc can perform war rituals on the battlefield 23-24. If they are not interrupted, they give luck in battle and advantages in the strategy game.
To accommodate different play-styles Gimle LARP is separated into 2 zones: the northern and the southern zone = roughly separating into area above and below the Battlefield.
MAGIC – During the day, magic only works in the northern area including the Academy, Nifelheim, Graveyard and Elven camp.
After 21:00 magic works everywhere. Artifacts work all the time & everywhere. Keep the magic away from the village of Gimleby.
FIGHTING – Try to avoid fighting in the village of Gimleby (no surprise attacks at least).
In the world of Gimle there is very little magic. Not all larpers like magic. Many do not want to be exposed to magic. Beginners and low fantasy larpers might not want to find themselves in a situation where they have to do some advanced or embarrassing acting, like screaming or acting in love or pretending to be something that they are not. But magic is fascinating and part of fantasy and many larpers like it.
So there are zones/areas and times where magic works.
- Magic (including magical artifacts) works always in Nordmark/Utmark (also Nannas/Nifelheim/Graveyard) (close to the moonstones)
- Magic works everywhere in moonlight (after 21.00), also on the battlefield.
- Ritual religious “magic” works everywhere all the time.
Magic in the Gimle world “runs on” moonlight or charged moonstones. Small stones are born from the magical and spiritual ground in Gimle. The whites have good power / energy, the blacks are for dark rituals. Blue stones are very magical and valuable.
Stones have a value for those who need them: magicians, druids, shamans, etc. If you belong to the bright side of religion, black stones will give you bad luck if you wear them (and vice versa).
The purpose of the design/concept of magic is:
1) Keep magic scarce/rare and special (low fantasy).
2) Avoid magic interfering with swordsfight/battles.
3) Not put beginners/others in situations where they are forced to act in a special (weird) way.
3b) Players must have a chance to avoid magic (=zone based larp)
4) Allow those who want to… larp magic. (=zone based larp)
5) Keep magic simple and easy to understand.
6) Make magical people strong enough to protect themselves.
Only those that have been approved by the organizer can create magic, and only after performing quests. Maximum 10% of the players can have magical abilities (apart from NPC). Magicians/druids must act well and convincingly. And use their magic to support the main story/plots. No magic for 14 and below!
There are only four spells. You know which one comes when you hear the word ARKANA, then you have to stop doing what you do and listen. It is too late to run away or cut the mage down with a sword.
These spells are available:
1) Healing 1-3 HP = 1 person
2) Blindness in at least 10 slow heartbeats. Used only against 1 person (avoid on battlefields it can get dangerous)
3) Pain in at least 10 slow heartbeats. Used only against 1 person – avoid on battlefield mass fighting, rather use it to make cooler scenes.
4) Shockwave, you have to stumble many steps back and stop (fall) for at least 10 slow heartbeats.
Always use the word ”Arcana” followed by the spell’s name or power description.
Spell of Healing
Healing = you heal a character one HP consuming your one mana.
Words: “ARCANA! (touch the person with your magical device) I heal you with the powers of… Shake and tension as you feel the energy flowing in your body. Breath deep. Slowly, breath deep. Relax. Close your eyes. Breath slow, breath deep. All your wounds and pain is removed. All your wounds and pain is removed. Rise and walk strong. You have been healed.”
Spell of Pain
Pain = causes extreme pain in 1 person for 10 long heartbeats, they can not walk or hold onto a weapon. The pain is situated in the stomach.
Words: ARCANA! I cause you great pain. Feel the pain in the core of your spine. Darkness and despair in your mind. Fall, fall into the pain for 10 slow heartbeats.
Spell of Blindness
Blindness = causes blindness in one person for 10 long heartbeats.
Words: ARCANA! I cause you blindness. Darkness falls over your eyes. You can not see. The world is hidden for you for 10 heartbeats.
Shockwave = causes your enemies to be blown back a few steps and stop and stumble. Should last for at least 10 long heartbeats.
Words: ARCANA! Shockwave!
When & where do spells work?
Spells only work close to the magical mana source = Nordmark and Utmark, Academy and Nifelheim. These spells work in other areas only after 9pm (when the full moon is up or approaching) – same goes for casting on the Battlefield. NPCs that say Arkana could possibly have other magic spells. Listen and play along if it feels good (otherwise leave the scene).
Known magician types:
Shamans – from Norse culture and animists.
Druids – more skilled in potions
Wizards and witches
Elven magical lord/lady
Priests/priestesses have some form of power.
Magical weapons rules:
Magical weapons are known as artifacts, see information lower on the page. They do not work in Gimleby or Battlefield. They work in ALL zones in the Gimle world after 21:00
- ! Works twice per 24 hours, per user – once at night, once at daylight
- ! They work like a spell and must be announced loudly with the word “Arcana” and a sentence of what power the weapon has.
RULES FOR MAGES
– Each spell can be done once a day and once a night, unless your mana is recharged consuming blue magical stones
– Each of these spells only lasts 10 slow heartbeats.
– The power over the victim must be maintained by a pose and words/sound by the caster of the spell. Narrate what the victim feels at any given moment.
– The magic/power must be channeled by a magical thing, a staff, a ring or similar.
– Blue magical stones can be found on the ground at night when they glow, when consumed/used you have to give them to the leader of the academy (they will be given back to the organizers).
New mages start of with only the healing spell, the other spells need to be learned at the Academy using black, blue or white stones. Characters that are continued keep their abilities from previous years.
– You need 10 black or 10 white stones to learn a spell.
– Blindness requires 10 white stones, Shockwave or Pain requires 10 black stones.
– For detailed description of mage levels go to Academy.
Apprenticeship in Academy:
One may become an apprentice in the Academy, but must go through all the paths to get access to wielding magic.
There is a system of apprenticeship in the Academy:
- LEVEL 1 General or under one maester to get the specialization, living outside the Academy, and being a member of other faction, only attending certain classes and paths at the Academy
- LEVEL 2 General or under one maester to get the specialization living in the Academy
- LEVEL 3 General or under one maester to get the specialization living in the Academy, after accomplishing the Rite of Passage, getting New Name and able to perform at least one spell
– For players safety potions are controlled by organizers and IN game are distributed by Academy Members.
– They are marked with blue ribbon or tape to describe their magical character. If they have red ribbon/tape, that means they can be stolen – but they only work if one has both bottle and a description card.
How to use them?
To be successful they need to be drunk (at least half of the little bottle), for example by adding them into beverages or food (they are safe as are made from common herbs like chamomile, hibiscus, or different types of tea and kept in sterile bottles washed with hot water).
Additionally, beside marked bottle, there is a descreet card telling about the nature of the potion and it’s effect. You can slip it under the cap or even inside the drink or food as they are laminated. Make sure that the player will see the card. ASK the player if they are up for such play before you try giving potion to them (to make it somewhat of a surprise this can be discussed before the game or at the start of the day, for example).
Both, bottles and potion cards are marked and distributed only by Academy members who are trained to safely and hygenically prepare them and it’s PROHIBITED to create own potions as it might be harmful to other players.
POISON and ANTIDOTE. In the game there might appear other types of potions (eg. SLEEPING, MADNESS) and their description and effect will be explained in the attached card to the bottle …